Termination of graduate status may be recommended in cases of continued unsatisfactory scholarship, insufficient progress toward the degree, or failure of the First or Second Qualifying Examinations.  Such a recommendation is made by the Graduate Vice Chair, after consultation with the Graduate Committee, and confirmed by the Faculty.  Appeals of such actions may be made by formal petition to the Graduate Division. Please refer to the Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA handbook for further information.