Each year, the UCLA Department of English welcomes scholars from universities and institutions throughout the world, who are drawn to UCLA for its dynamic research environment.
These visitors include academics and scholars, representing every discipline of English. They provide a valuable resource for the Department’s faculty and graduate students, as well as the Los Angeles community as a whole, and enhance UCLA's coverage of English Studies. The Department of English provides limited administrative assistance to visiting scholars and helps them with access to UCLA's library and research facilities. Because of severe space limitations throughout the university, the Department is unable to provide private office space to visiting scholars.
Costs: The Department of English charges an administrative fee to defray the costs of running its visiting scholar program. The current cost for this program is $800 per quarter or $2400 an entire academic year. A non-refundable application fee of $500 must be paid by bank check or certified money order upon submission of the application to cover the costs of processing the visiting scholar application.
This application fee is non-refundable, even if the scholar is ultimately unable to visit UCLA, or if the Department is unable to accept or accommodate the applicant.
Please note that submitting an application is not a guarantee of acceptance.
1. A Ph.D., or equivalent evidence of professional achievement, by the time the appointment would begin.
2. Preference is given to scholars from institutions with which UCLA has signed academic-exchange agreements and to scholars who are personally recommended by UCLA faculty in English.
3. All applicants must be affiliated with an established institution (i.e., academic institutions, government, media institutions and companies)
4. All applicants must provide documentation certifying sufficient proficiency in the English language with one of the following:
• A recognized English language test--TOEFL or IELTS only. The exams must have been taken within the past two years. The IELTS overall band score must be 7 or higher and the TOEFL test score must be 560 (paper based) or 87 (internet based iBT).
• Certification document from an academic institution or English language school the visiting scholar is affiliated with or has attended. Certification must be provided on letterhead and signed by a school official within the past six months.
5. A UCLA faculty member's consent to serve as the university sponsor for the applicant during his or her stay at UCLA.
6. Due to space and administrative limitations, there is an annual quota on the number of visiting scholars who may be invited by the Department. The Department may not be able to accommodate all qualified candidates who apply in any one year.
Application Process/ Procedure
This is only the preliminary contact. Please do not complete the application until you have been instructed to do so. A $500 non-refundable application fee is required to complete the application.
2. The Departmental Chair will review your documents and determine whether or not to accept your application to our program.
3. You will hear back from the Program Coordinator regarding the decision. At this time you will also need to select a Faculty mentor whom you will be working with. Once you receive the invitation to apply to our program, you may then complete the application and pay the $500 non-refundable application fee, required to defray the administrative costs of processing and evaluating the application.
4. Once your application is received with all the supporting documents, you will receive a DS-2019 via FedEx.
5. Payment information will be sent to you with the due date as the appointment begin date.
6. You are required to attend the check-in and the orientation upon arrival, preferably before your appointment begin date.
There are two appointment begin dates each year for the one-year program: January 1st and September 1st. There is a one-month grace period for the check-in. For example, if January 1st is your appointment begin date, you can check in at any time in December or January. There is also an option to apply for a six-month program, which is open all year round.
Applicants will be required to submit information and supplementary materials as listed below in either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF:
1. A curriculum vitae or professional resume.
2. A proposal (no more than one page) outlining the research that will be undertaken while in residence in the Department.
3. A scanned copy of the applicant’s passport clearly showing both pages (picture and signature).
4. A letter of recommendation from a scholar with expertise in the area of the applicant's intended research.
5. A certified statement of financial support from the applicant's place of employment or financial institution (Affidavit of Support).
6. Documentation certifying sufficient proficiency in the English language:
• A recognized English language test
• Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school
The insurance policy must provide the following coverage:
• $100,000 per accident & illness in medical coverage
• Deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness
• Coinsurance that does not exceed 25%
• Medical evacuation up to $50,000
• Repatriation up to $25,000
• Pre-existing conditions must be covered with a waiting period no longer than 12 months
• Carrier must be at least A-rated
You can find the current year's insurance rate at the Garnett-Powers & Associates website:
Please note: Documentation of insurance is not required on the application. However, if accepted, scholars will be required to show proof of insurance upon arrival.
In addition, please note that submitting an application is not a guarantee of acceptance. All applications will be reviewed by the Chair of the Department of English.
***Please be aware that the Department accepts a limited number of Visiting Scholars every year.***
Please contact the Department before you initiate the application process in order to see if we are still accepting applications for the current year. If you submit your application without contacting the Department prior to submission, your application may not be considered for review. Also, please be advised that the application fee is non-refundable.
Submit your application early. It takes at least two months to process your application. When applying, please take into consideration the time that it will take to make all the necessary arrangements before arriving in Los Angeles.
Submit your application with all the required forms and materials. Incomplete or incorrect applications can significantly delay the process. Please make sure that the application is complete and correct before submission.