UG Support Counseling Office
WINTER 2022 UPDATE: Advising services will be available virtually during the remote instruction period. In-person services will most likely resume on Jan 31, 2022.
To serve the needs of all students, the Dept. of English undergraduate advising office will offer both in-person and virtual services in Winter 2022.
For answers to frequently asked questions, click here.
In-Person Services and Policies
(Available after January 31; scroll down for virtual options during Weeks 1 – 4.)
Advising Days, Hours, and Location
Mondays through Fridays
9 am to 12 noon; 1 pm to 4 pm
Kaplan Hall 158/160
No appointment necessary—we will offer drop-in advising on a first-come, first-served basis
To reduce campus density, our advising team will alternate our in-person days. Please keep in mind that you do not need to meet with the same advisor at each visit—either of us will be happy to assist you.
Janel will be in the office Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Stephanie will be in the office Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
COVID Mitigation Procedures
To access in-person advising, students must abide by UCLA and Los Angeles Department of Public Health (LADPH) guidelines. At present, students should expect the following:
- Acceptable face masks covering both nose and mouth are currently required in all shared indoor campus spaces, including our advising offices.
- Daily symptom checks are currently required for students, faculty, and staff who will be on campus. Please be prepared to show your daily clearance certificate via the UCLA Mobile app, email confirmation page, or screenshot/PDF when you arrive for advising. We recommend that you bookmark the symptom survey page for daily use.
- Advisors will be seated at a 6-foot distance from students. Please come prepared with a laptop or tablet device so that you may access your degree audit, MyUCLA pages, etc. without relying on the advisor’s computer.
- If you are ill and experiencing symptoms, including symptoms of non-COVID illnesses such as the flu, please refrain from visiting our in-person advising office and opt for virtual advising services until you are well.
- The public health picture continues to evolve, and our advising policies may need to evolve as well. We will post any updates to this page as necessary.
Students who do not comply with UCLA and LADPH guidelines will be asked to use our virtual advising services, and may be referred to the Dean of Students if found to be out of compliance while on campus.
Virtual Services and Policies
Asynchronous Advising Resources
To access major/minor degree checksheets and advising FAQs, visit our English Advising Box Folder.
Online Messaging or Phone Inquiries
Students should contact us through MyUCLA MessageCenter (Academic counseling unit: English) or by calling 310.825.1389. Please note that phone hours are 9 am to 4 pm Pacific Time.
Zoom Sessions by Appointment
Students may book a 15-minute Zoom appointment with an advisor via MyUCLA.
Students desiring a 30-minute appointment for special circumstances (double major petition assistance, departmental evaluation, returning to UCLA after an absence) may book a longer appointment here.
Zoom Drop-In Hours
Drop-in Zoom hours (no appointment needed) are available weekly, and are announced via our undergraduate email listserv. The exact days/times change from week-to-week to accommodate varied schedules. Keep an eye on your inbox for each week’s times!
College Counseling Units
If you have a question about your General Education requirements, IGETC certification, College petitions, etc. please consult the links below for up-to-date information on how to access your college counseling unit.