UG Support Counseling Office
Due to ongoing social distancing directives, the English Undergraduate Advising Office will be remote access only effective March 17, 2020.
Please check this page regularly for up-to-date advising options.
Students should contact us through MyUCLA MessageCenter.
If you have a more in-depth advising question, you can book a phone appointment with an advisor. For weekday appointments, you may schedule up to one week in advance by clicking here. For evening or weekend appointments, please send a request via MyUCLA MessageCenter.
Zoom drop-in advising hours are available periodically, and are announced via our undergraduate email listserv.
Have a question for your central advising unit? Remote advising instructions can be accessed through the links below.
Adjusting to remote learning? Visit the Center for the Advancement of Teaching’s remote learning resource page below.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 4 PM
Drop-in counseling. No appointment necessary. Please bring a laptop or tablet device so that you can access your degree audit.
If you need to contact us electronically, please use MyUCLA MessageCenter and direct your inquiry to Academic counseling unit — English.
Please visit the Undergraduate Counseling Office to:
- Declare a major in English or American Literature and Culture
- Declare a minor in English or Literature and the Environment
- Learn about the major/minor programs
- Learn about special programs, including English Departmental Honors, Creative Writing workshops, and the Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society
- Talk to a counselor about program planning and course selection
- Petition for credit or exemption from a major requirement
- Discuss Study Abroad and how it may apply to your major
- Submit English 195CE/197/199 contract course forms for processing
- Consult about problems with a particular English course or professor
- Change majors from English to American Literature and Culture or vice versa, or change concentrations within the English major
- Get assistance with College petitions, including Late/Retroactive Add, Restricted Late Drop, Red Drop, Change Grading Detail, and Withdrawal
- Receive information on declaring candidacy and non-attendance
If you are a returning student needing a manual degree check, are unable to come to drop-in counseling hours, or are traveling from out of town, please call the counseling office at (310) 825-1389 to make an appointment.
For questions regarding your General Education requirements or University requirements, please go to your counseling unit: