UG Support Counseling Office
Due to ongoing physical distancing directives, the English Undergraduate Advising Office will be remote access only until further notice.
Virtual Advising Resources: To access major/minor degree checksheets and advising FAQs, visit our English Advising Box Folder.
Online Messaging or Phone inquiries: Students should contact us through MyUCLA MessageCenter (Academic counseling unit: English) or by calling 310.825.3927. Please note that phone hours are 9 am to 4 pm Pacific Time.
Zoom Sessions by Appointment: Students may book a 15-minute Zoom appointment with an advisor via MyUCLA.
Students desiring a 30-minute appointment for special circumstances (double major petition assistance, departmental evaluation, returning to UCLA after an absence) may book an appointment here.
Zoom Drop-In Hours: Drop-in advising hours (no appointment needed) are available weekly, and are announced via our undergraduate email listserv. The exact days/times change from week-to-week to accommodate various time zones and class/work/life schedules. Keep an eye on your inbox for each week’s times!
Fall 2021 New Admits: Welcome to UCLA! While we are available to answer your questions, please be advised that many of your questions will be answered during your new student orientation session this summer. At your orientation session, you will receive a thorough overview of our major/minor requirements and confirmation of your work completed through AP/IB/transfer credit. You will also enroll in your Fall classes at the end of your orientation session. If you are considering booking an advising appointment prior to orientation, please keep in mind that we will not be able to view your transferable courses/credits yet, and so you may wish to wait until after your orientation date. We look forward to e-meeting you at orientation!
Have a question for your central advising unit? Remote advising instructions can be accessed through the links below.
Adjusting to remote learning? Visit the Center for the Advancement of Teaching’s remote learning resource page below.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 4 PM
Drop-in counseling. No appointment necessary. Please bring a laptop or tablet device so that you can access your degree audit.
If you need to contact us electronically, please use MyUCLA MessageCenter and direct your inquiry to Academic counseling unit — English.
Please visit the Undergraduate Counseling Office to:
- Declare a major in English or American Literature and Culture
- Declare a minor in English or Literature and the Environment
- Learn about the major/minor programs
- Learn about special programs, including English Departmental Honors, Creative Writing workshops, and the Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society
- Talk to a counselor about program planning and course selection
- Petition for credit or exemption from a major requirement
- Discuss Study Abroad and how it may apply to your major
- Submit English 195CE/197/199 contract course forms for processing
- Consult about problems with a particular English course or professor
- Change majors from English to American Literature and Culture or vice versa, or change concentrations within the English major
- Get assistance with College petitions, including Late/Retroactive Add, Restricted Late Drop, Red Drop, Change Grading Detail, and Withdrawal
- Receive information on declaring candidacy and non-attendance
If you are a returning student needing a manual degree check, are unable to come to drop-in counseling hours, or are traveling from out of town, please call the counseling office at (310) 825-1389 to make an appointment.
For questions regarding your General Education requirements or University requirements, please go to your counseling unit: