UG Support Petitioning
Students may petition the Department to be given credit or waived from a major/minor requirement based on prior work completed at UCLA or another school. There are two types of petitions: a departmental petition, requiring only departmental approval; and College petitions, requiring approval of a student’s central counseling unit.
To petition for a course substitution or exemption for your English major/minor or American Literature and Culture major, please follow these guidelines:
- Please connect with our English undergraduate advising office via our in-person or Zoom hours.
- Please be prepared to provide a copy of the class syllabus.
- If you are requesting credit based on foreign language placement exam, please provide a copy of your placement exam results.
- Upper-division major/minor requirements can only be substituted with upper-division courses (courses numbered 100-199), not with lower-division courses.
- Once approved, your departmental counselor will process your course substitution/exemption online, therefore updating your DAR instantly.
A guide to College petitions, their uses, and submission procedures can be found online at the link below.